St. Giles’ Episcopal Church came into being November 9, 1950 when nine Episcopalians met with Archdeacon Herbert Craig to plan the celebration of Holy Communion on Thanksgiving and Christmas at the Jefferson Fire Station. In January of 1951 the first Bishop’s Committee was elected. The Rev. Robert Frazier of Wiscasset was appointed Priest in Charge of the new mission.
Two years later, on land given by the Ernest Hunt family, ground was broken and the cornerstone laid. Under the direction of William Fish, many volunteers worked hard to build the original building. On September 9, 1956 a memorial gift made the addition of the steeple and the carillon possible.
St. Giles’ continued to grow under several clergy with St. Philip’s in Wiscasset. The Rev. Jack K.W. McCall was ordained Priest at St. Giles’ in 1976 and became the first Vicar. In 1978 the Very Rev. Frederic R. Murray, a member of St. Giles’, assumed the position of Interim Vicar.
The Rev. William H. Murdoch, Jr. was called as our first Rector, when St. Giles’ attained Parish status. Father Murdoch left in June of 1998 following the call of the Holy Spirit to serve three mission churches in the Diocese of Iowa where he became the Archdeacon. The Very Rev. Frederic R. Murray again served as Interim during the search period.
In July of 1987 The Rev. Stephen I. Woods came to St. Giles’ as a Deacon. On December 16, 1987 Father Woods was ordained a Priest at St. Giles’ by the Rev. Edward C. Chalfont, Bishop of Maine. Father Woods left in July 1988. The Rev. Veronica Knapick was called in October 1990 and served as Rector until June 1992. The Rev. William H. Murdoch, Jr. returned and served as our fourth Rector from February of 1993 to January 1995. Several local clergy served as supply priests until The Rev. Robert A. Jewett was called to St. Giles in November 1996 and served as Priest in Charge until his death on February 23, 2007.
Under Bob’s leadership, St. Giles’ completed a new handicapped-accessible addition housing a library, classrooms and an all-purpose meeting room which has now become known as Jewett Hall. In the year following Bob’s death, the Rev. Jeffrey C. Lewis served as our Priest in Charge, followed by the Rev. John Van Siclen, who served as Priest in Charge from 2008 to
In February 2011 the Vestry appointed the Rev. Dr. Susan Kraus as Priest in Charge. A year later the vestry called her to be Rector.